What defines the best Windows laptop? Well, first, it should be light enough for anyone to carry through the day. It should be powerful enough to tackle any task you wish to complete. It should feature a powerful battery to get you through a full workday without having to carry a charger. Finally, it should feature a high-quality screen and a keyboard that is comfortable to touch.
Due to advancements in technology, it is possible to get such a Windows laptop today. A few years back, it was almost impossible to find a laptop that offered all the above. As such, people were forced to choose between silver or black chunky laptops that were built with better components but offered poor screen quality and came in dull designs.
However, today everyone has the option to choose from various designs and features. This makes it easy to locate a Windows laptop for your needs.
Which Are The Best Windows Laptops in Irealand Today?
If you do some research now, you will see people hyping the latest HP Spectre x360 14” as the best Windows laptop overall. That is because it features the best power, battery life, beautiful design, and portability features.
Nonetheless, if you are on the market looking for a laptop that lets you play modern games at favourable framerates, then we recommend Rog Zephyrus G14. This laptop is very affordable compared to the features it offers. In other words, you will not pay a lot of money for the laptop as you would with other laptops in the same category. But also get impressive performance while playing games and excellent battery life.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a laptop that can turn into a windows tablet, we recommend you get the HP Elite Dragonfly. However, it is important to note that it is a bit pricy but extremely reliable and comes with many premium features. Its battery life is impressive as well.
Below are more suggestions on the best windows laptop to get: –
The HP Spectre x360 14”
This Windows laptop is considered to be the best 2-in-1 laptop on the market. The HP Spectre x360 builds upon its predecessors but features new improved features such as: –
- 3:2 aspect ratio display
- 11th Gen Intel CPU with Iris Xe graphics
- Vivid 1920 x 1280 pixel IPS
- Stunning design
- 3K2K OLED display option
- More than 12 hours of battery life
- A silk touchpad and comfortable keyboard
- Several selections of ports
- Excellent security features with fingerprint sensor and facial recognition option
This is a high-performing laptop, and with the features mentioned, it is easy to see why this laptop is considered to be the best. If you have the money, we recommend buying the Spectre x360 14” over the Envy 13, especially if you are looking for a flexible design. If you are looking for a comfortable notebook, you should consider the HP Spectre x360.
Like everything: it has a few faults, but one will easily forget about them the moment you see what it can do.
The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
The biggest problem laptop gaming manufacturers face is creating a machine that is not only powerful but offers the best cooling for true gaming experience and performance. They have to achieve this while still maintaining the slim and light design offered by laptops. Nevertheless, the Asus manufacturers have achieved this, and producing gaming laptops is where they shine because they have managed to offer a great balance between portability and power. The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 features: –
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q GPU
- AMD Ryzen 9-4900HS processor
- A 14” laptop
- 11 hours of battery life (when not playing games but rather when using it normally.)
Aside from the benefits and features offered by the Asus ROG Zephyrus, the laptop is very affordable. Its price ranges from EUR 1,049 to EUR 1,999. The price is affected by the specs you prefer. Even when it is fitted with all specs, it is still affordable compared to other gaming laptops on the market.
Although it does not come with a webcam and the keyboard backlighting has some issues, overall it is the best pick when looking for gaming Windows laptops.
The Dell XPS 13
Dell XPS 13 is one of our favourite laptops due to its beautiful display, excellent performance, and slender design. Although its battery life is not as good as compared to other similar price range laptops, it is still good to get you through the day without the need for charging.
Moreover, the XPS 13, 2021 models come with added features like the 3.5K OLED touchscreen option (although this feature adds the cost of the Windows laptop with a couple of hundred dollars extra). About the same price range as the non-OLED 4K screen configurations. It is worth the investment because OLED offers the best when it comes to image quality.
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 4
This laptop is the closes thing the Windows manufacturers have made that is close to a flagship windows laptop. The laptop comes with additional features to the Windows Surface laptop line, and it is packed with premium components. It comes with: –
- A clean Windows 10 already installed
- Comfortable keyboard with well-sized keys
- Features a wonderful Alcantara deck selection that helps support a user’s wrists
- It comes with more than 10 hours of battery life
- Comfortable to read screen feature due to its tall 3:2 display ratio
- Features notebook options to get things done on the go
If you are on the market looking for a laptop that can work from anywhere, then you should consider the Microsoft Surface Laptop 4.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano
Lenovo is a company that truly has achieved making a laptop thin and light. This makes people worry about its durability, performance, and how long it can last on a full battery charge. However, you do not have to worry about this with the Lenovo ThinkPad X1, which only weighs only 2 pounds. It features: –
- A 12-hour battery life (this makes it competitive with some of the top Windows laptops on the market)
- Very lightweight, weighing at only 2.9 pounds, and very slender in design.
- Features X1 Nano Intel 11th Gen Tiger Lake Processor (meaning they have not sacrificed performance and usability)
- The keyboard is comfortable for typing
If you are looking for a lightweight Windows-performing laptop, you should consider Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano. However, you may need to get a USB-C hub because the laptop is light on ports.
The Dell XPS 17
Dell XPS 17 is a 2020 model that stands out from the rest. That is because it features powerful graphics options. This makes it an ideal Windows laptop for gaming lovers, as well as content creators. Although the purchasing cost is pretty steep, if you opt to go with high-end specs, it is worth the expense if you are looking for a high-performing laptop, with an Infinity Edge display.
Aside from it being the biggest XPS laptop on offer today, it is smaller in size and offers a more powerful graphic design option for a laptop. However, we are still waiting for Dell to update the XPS 17 with the top-of-the-line 11th Gen Intel Processor. Although, even without it, it is still the most powerful and elegant Windows Laptop on the market.
The AlienWare m15 R4
This is a sleek and yet functional gaming laptop. it is powerful and relatively lightweight. It is also streamlined, with a slick white chassis and RGB keyboard. With these features, the AlienWare m15 R4 is the best tool for both work and play. It is featured with: –
- Powerful NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 GPU
- RGB keyboards
- A lot of hard drive space
- Fast and sensitive touchpad
- Has an optional 4K OLED display (if you wish to pay extra)
However, it does not lack its limitations. First, it is important to note that its cooling fan tends to get very loud. On the other hand, its battery life is not that attractive (it does not offer long enough battery life suitable for work-related productivity or gaming). Finally, it comes at a very steep price range.
Aside from these drawbacks, the machine can run a game in demanding settings. Furthermore, it is long-lasting due to its cutting-edge hardware. For this reason, if you are looking for a powerful Windows gaming laptop and you do not mind carrying a charger around, you should consider this laptop.
The Lenovo Yoga 9i
The Lenovo Yoga 9i is a model designed to compete in the already crowded field of 2-in-1 laptops with others. However, when released it made a slash due to its competitive price. It features –
- The latest 11th Gen Core i7 processor
- Long battery life
- In-built stylus battery
- Clever rotating speakers that pack a punch in both tablet and laptop mode
- A colorful and sharp picture output
When it comes to port selection, it is a bit on the light side. However, when you compare its price range to others with similar specs, such as the HP Spectre x360 and the Dell XPS 2-in-1 Lenovo Yoga 9i offers serious competition.
The HP Elite Dragonfly
HP Elite Dragonfly sets a new standard for the whole category and it is one of the key players for the whole HP Laptops family. It is a 2-in-1 laptop that is designed with spectacular thin edges that measure just 0.6 inches thick. It features a deep clue coat of paint that looks refreshing. Other features and specs include:
- Lightweight measuring 2.5 pounds
- Features Oleophobic coating to prevent fingerprints
- It comes with a stunning 13.3-inch display
- It is fitted with an 8th Gen Intel CPU (this is not the latest but can handle everyday workloads without problems)
- The keyboard is attractive and very comfortable
- Has a long battery life of more than 12 hours (its 4-cell version battery will cost you about EUR 22 extra). This beats competitor brands such as XPS 13 and MacBook Air.
HP manufacturers boast that the laptop is made using recycled ocean-bound plastic, which is an added benefit to the environment. However, when talking about cost, it is on the expensive side, and for premium features, you may end up paying more.
The HP EliteBook x360 1040 G7
This is one of the best laptops for businesses. Aside from its attractive look, it features flexible hinges, making it easy to convert from laptop to tablet. HP EliteBook x360 1040 G7 is one of those rare notebooks that seemingly have no limitations. It features: –
- A vivid bright 14-inch display
- Features comfortable keyboard
- The best security features like fingerprint sensor, IR camera, and MIL-SPEC-810 rated durability
- A 10th Gen Intel CPU
- Long-lasting battery life of more than 11 hours of constant use
These are features that make it the best laptop option for business users.
The Asus ZenBook Duo 14
If you are on the market looking for a laptop that offers a second screen without the need of installing an external display, you should consider the Asus ZenBook Duo 14. The manufacturers of this laptop achieved this by putting a 12-inch touchscreen above the keyboard. That screen is excellent for placing secondary apps like Discord, Slack, Spotify, and others. It can also be used by creative apps such as Adobe. It is stunning that it won a recommendation for the best laptop breakthrough in our Tom’s Guide Awards 2021.
Aside from this, it has excellent performance and is competitive to the likes of XPS 13. It has excellent battery life: noting that the battery has two screens to power.
It has one big drawback; however, it is not friendly to the wrists (it does not offer wrist rest), and the touchpad is off to one side. However, if you invest in an external wrist rest, you will be fine.
The HP Envy 13 (2021 Version)
If you are looking for the best Windows laptop for under EUR 1,000, you should consider the HP Envy 13. This laptop comes with: –
- A bright, vivid 13-inch screen
- Plastic touchpad
- Designed entirely out of aluminium
- Has 11th Gen Intel Core CPU
- Comfortable keyboard
We discovered that through its Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor it delivers the best performances for almost any task. This makes its price range fall to about EUR 900 and can perform better than laptops that cost over EUR 1,000.
It lacks some security features such as an IR camera and fingerprint sensor. Overall, it is an excellent windows laptop at an affordable price. In other words, it is the most affordable Windows Laptop on our list.
How Do I Choose The Best Windows Laptop?
- Performance – Performance is important, and it is based on usage. If your main goal for a laptop is to browse and write documents only, then performance should not be a big deal for you. Furthermore, you will end up saving a lot of money in the process. You can get a Windows laptop with an Intel Core i3 processor and 4GB RAM.
All the laptops in our list have a minimum of Core i5. For this reason, we recommend that you check our guide for the best laptops for under EUR 500. However, if speed and performance are of utmost importance, you should start with a Windows laptop with specifications like a Core i5 CPU and more than 8GB RAM.
- Size – Size applies when considering how portable you want your laptop to be. For example, Notebooks like Lenovo ThinkPad x1 Nano and Dell XPS 13 are slim and lightweight. On the other hand, gaming laptops such as Alienware m15 R4 and ROG Zephyrus G14 are not as lightweight but extremely powerful. What does this mean to you? Well, it simply means that depending on the specs you are looking for, you should be ready to consider its size.
For example, if you do not want a bulky laptop and looking for a slender and lightweight machine, you should be ready to sacrifice power and performance. Remember, the more powerful a laptop is, the bulkier it will be (for cooling purposes).
- Flexibility – There are several exciting new Windows laptops on the market with hinges that can rotate to lay the screen flat back of the laptop, making it a tablet. These are 2-in-1 versions that can double as a tablet and a laptop, such as the Lenovo Yoga 9i.
- Graphics and Gaming – A majority of Windows laptops come with integrated graphics as part of the CPU. This means that they are excellent at handling older games or undemanding games like World of Warcraft or Minecraft. However, they are poor at running the latest or graphic-intensive applications like video editing software. This is where you have to consider laptops with discrete graphics cards like RTX 30-series or Radeon RX 5000 series.
It does not matter the system you choose or brand; it is always wise to compare them all to locate the best brand that brings you what you want. Furthermore, it is a good idea to complement the Windows laptop you buy with the best computer mouse so that you can perform specific tasks.
How Do We Test And Identify The Best Windows Laptops?
Everything is done in our lab by conducting several tests. We test all the machines by running them through severe sets of benchmarks. We also focus on real-world tests to gauge how they will perform during everyday use.
A good example, we do cautiously measure the average glare and colour superiority of every laptop display using our own light meter and colourimeter. To measure the overall; performance of a laptop, we run each machine through several tests that include Geekbench 5 for CPU performance and different 3DMark tests to test the graphic capabilities of each machine. We do also conduct a file transfer to determine how fast its hard drive is. We also conduct a custom battery test by browsing the internet using a Wi-Fi connection until the battery power runs out.
When it comes to gaming performance, we use demanding games such as Sid Meier’s Civilization VI: Gathering Storm. We do also use other popular games such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2. If you have ever played these games, you will note how graphic demanding they are.
The main goal for these lab tests is complemented by our hands-on review process rather than looking for other people’s reviews online or reading what the manufacturer has indicated. Therefore, we spend time and a lot of effort on all laptops. We put them through their paces while watching movies, working, listening to music, and even playing video games.